The programmes available at the I CAN READ Narellan Centre range from classes for very young learners to school aged children and beyond:
Little Bears Club
A child-centred programme with an emphasis on expressive and receptive English.
Thinking and Creative Skills
Based on a multiple intelligences approach, this programme is designed to stimulate the imagination, encourage cognitive growth, improve verbal confidence, and introduce phonological awareness.
Preliminary Reading Skills
Covers all the prerequisite skills needed to become a good reader, including phonemic awareness and phonics. Includes oral presentation skills.
I CAN READ
A multi-sensory structured reading programme which uses a unique method to teach the student to read and spell quickly and easily.
School Holiday Intensive Programme
A highly interactive and intense 5 day programme for students aged 3 – 14 years. Covers a diverse range of literacy skills aimed at developing self confidence in students. The programmes aim to further develop student’s preliminary range of skills and for students wanting to enhance their speech, drama and creative writing skills.
Contact us for your obligation free, diagnostic assessment today www.icanreadsystem.com
Ph: 02 4648 0555.
Sensory Tools Australia presents World-Renowned POWER WORKSHOPS in 2014! Fantastic opportunities for professionals to gain CPD points and for parents to learn more about what is making their child tick. Online registration now open!
The Traffic Jam In My Brain LIVE MARCH 2014 Presented By Genevieve Jereb OTR A Sensory Processing Approach to Challenges Associated with Autism, ADHD, Learning and Behavioural Differences
Presented by international speaker Genevieve Jereb, OTR, "The Traffic Jam In My Brain” is a fun, informative and interactive seminar designed for parents, therapists and other professionals. You will gain understanding of the basics of sensory processing and learn "ready-to-use" strategies to support learning, attention, social and emotional relationships and behaviour in children. Sydney: 29 March 2014. $199 professionals $189 parents (early bird rates) Download Brochure here.
How Does Your Engine Run?® The Alert Program® For Self-Regulation MAY 2014
Come, learn, and re-energize your engine! Find out why, after this two day conference, so many participants say: “This is the best conference I’ve ever attended!” “If your body is like a car engine, sometimes it runs on high, sometimes it runs on low, and sometimes it runs just right.” When therapists, teachers, or parents use these simple words to begin the Alert Program, they enter an exciting adventure with children. The journey unfolds easily with the program’s clearly defined steps for teaching self-regulation awareness. Sydney: 9 & 10 May 2014 $695 (early bird rate) Download Brochure here.
Sensory Defensiveness: A Comprehensive Treatment Approach presented by Dr. Julia Wilbarger & Patricia Wilbarger AUGUST 2014 Sensory defensiveness is a serious sensory modulation problem that is rarely correctly identified and infrequently treated directly and effectively. This workshop will introduce an in-depth, clinical approach to treating sensory defensiveness and the cascade of seemingly illogical behaviors that are often seen as secondary issues. Sensory defensiveness will be described across multiple age and diagnostic groups.
Sydney: 9 & 10 August 2014. 2.5 day course $795 (early bird rate) Download brochure here
. Online registration available NOW
Gen Jereb recommends these courses very highly. We urge you to register early as tickets will be in very high demand and also strictly limited. For further info or to contact our office, please phone: 02 4578 6123
Caring 4 U Health Solutions
1 x Fresh Wave Baby Pearl Pack – 5 pack (Lasts up to 90 days)
1 x Fresh Wave Baby Gel – 473g (Lasts up to 90 days)
1 x Fresh Wave Baby Spray – 112ml (Lasts up to 60 days)
1 x Fresh Wave Baby Wash – 946ml (Lasts up to 37 Washes) Normal Price - $65.35 Introductory Package Price $49.95 www.caring4uhealthsolutions.com
Save at maternitywear.com.au on maternity jeans for Local Child Care’s readers. Here is a opportunity to purchase great fitting maternity jeans in regular and plus sizes for casual wear in cropped or full length, browse our full collections while our sale is on with big savings on our normally affordable prices, but don’t delay as you only have up till the 28th of February
to take advantage of this terrific offer. www.maternitywear.com.au
We at Australian Frontline Services (AFS) specialise in training for the childcare industry through delivering First Aid, Combined Childcare, and WHS training to enable you to meet all legislative requirements.
This is our 25th year in business please feel free to contact us for our anniversary specials in regards to all your training needs.
AFS Consulting provides training solutions in a variety of areas including but not limited to WHS, First Aid, Security, and customer service. Our clients range from small business through to national and multinational companies. We provide package training for nationally accredited courses as well as specifically designing courses to suit the client’s needs. Our highly experienced trainers will also deliver our clients in house training courses.
We will not only provide you with training, but with the confidence to act in emergency situations. These courses can be conducted at your premises, another suitable location or in our training rooms.
About Technology - Parental Controls
What are parental controls?
- Parental control tools help parents monitor and limit what their children do online.
- There are many tools available and they all offer different functions, with some even allowing parents to limit the time children spend on specific websites or games.
- No tool is 100% effective at blocking access to inappropriate content. They are a good tool to encourage communication with children about their online activities.
- Currently there are more effective tools for use with PCs and Macs than with mobile, tablet devices and game consoles. Additional parental supervision is required with these.
What do parental controls do?
What about game consoles, mobiles and tablets?
- Every parental control tool is different.
- Most can block children from accessing specific websites, protocols or applications.
- Most can filter different kinds of content, like sexual content.
- Most allow parents to monitor use with reports on sites accessed, the length of time and frequency of access.
- Some can be used to set time limits, blocking access after a set time—handy if you are not home and want to limit the time your child spends on a game or social media.
- Most allow parents to change the tool settings to reflect each child’s age and skills.
- Parental control tools are currently less effective with game consoles, mobiles and tablets. Additional parental supervision is required.
- Most parental controls do not filter internet access from game consoles. There are very few developed specifically for particular game consoles.
- Most tools for mobiles and tablets involve using a specific internet browser to block content. —If children use a different internet browser they bypass the parental control tool.
- Apps often bypass any parental control tools.
What is the best parental control tool? New parental control tools are emerging every couple of months. Look for user reviews to find the one that is best for you.
Look for a tool that users report:
Do parental control tools keep computers and data secure?
- Is easy for parents to install and use.
- Blocks content and websites well.
- Offers good reports on which websites have been accessed.
- Is automatically updated (to ensure new websites and content are blocked).
- Can’t be easily bypassed by savvy teens.
- Can be used remotely (can be handy if your child is doing a school project and the tool is over blocking content, or if your child is home alone and you want to know which websites they are visiting).
No. Parental controls are not created for the purpose of software or hardware security.
E-security tools need to be installed to keep information and computers safe, including:
- Firewalls to block access by unauthorised systems.
- Anti-virus to block programs that seek to steal or destroy data.
- These tools must be automatically updated as new viruses are released every day.
Extract from Cybersmart to see more click here